18 Şubat 2013 Pazartesi

Is it wrong for a man to love a tortilla?

To contact us Click HERE
There may be two things which have been indispensable in helping me achieve my weight-loss goals. The first is the support of my wife -- I don't think that I could have changed my lifestyle had she not changed hers similarly.

The second is a tortilla. Yes, a tortilla. Actually, somewhere over 400 tortillas, but all of one type.


La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious Low Carb High Fiber Tortillas. Yes, the name is long and unwieldy, so long that saying it all requires you to burn 10% of the calories you get from eating one. But it is truly a miraculous product. Who knew that a 62g tortilla, with only 80 calories, could also have 8g of protein and 12g of fiber. Wow! And for those times when you don't need as much tortilla real estate, there's a smaller version that's only 50 calories but with 5g of protein and 7g of fiber.

What do I do with them?

  • Low-calorie giant breakfast burritos with egg whites, low fat/nonfat cheese, and salsa
  • Wraps, wraps, wraps! Chicken, pastrami, veggie burgers, veggie dogs, you name it.
  • Pseudo-naan to go with Indian entrees
  • I've even been known to eat them on their own in a pinch.
No, they will not win an award for the world's most delicious tortilla (my wife hates them, but I think they're pretty good) -- to begin with, their whole wheat, so they're not as deliciously fluffy as regular flour tortillas. But, they're OK, and at only 80 calories with 8g of protein and 12g of fiber, that's good enough for me. An important note -- they're MUCH tastier when you pop them in the toaster oven to heat them up. I alternate between a quick warm (leaves them softer, good for wraps) and a longer toast (they get kind of crispy/tougher) which can be good for other purposes.
I buy mine mostly from Costco (they may or may not be at your local Costco), and I horde them in my freezer (they seem to store just fine, nearly indefinitely, when you put them in Ziploc freezer bags and suck the air out with a straw before closing to create a near-vacuum). Costco discontinued them once before, but they're back, so I hope they stay available, but I'm not counting on it. My local Safeway has both the small and large versions, and they seem to put them on discount fairly frequently on my Safeway shopper's card. OR, if you're desperate, you can buy them direct from La Tortilla Factory, but the pricing's more than at the local grocery *and* you have to pay for shipping.
You may be wondering, "What's so special about these tortillas? We have a bunch of tortillas at our local grocer, many of them with healthy names, and they must be just as good." Well, there are a few 
Mission Tortillas (which seem to be one of the more widely distributed national brands) has a 67g large 96% fat free tortilla. You'd think that would be a great alternative, but it has only 5g of protein, 3g of fiber, and it's over double the calories at 180. Ouch! They do have a nutritional powerhouse of a tortilla, the 70g Carb Balance tortilla which has 9g of protein and an incredible 26g of fiber, but it's 210 calories. If you're like me and eat 2-3 tortillas per day, the difference between about 200 calories (La Tortilla Factory) and 500 calories (Mission) would add up fast.
P.S. In researching this, I came across Tumaro's which offers a 8" tortilla that's 50 calories with 5g of protein and supposedly available in my area. I'll have to check it out.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder